We know you’re planning to celebrate Talk Like A Pirate Day with some timber shivering jargon – but at Tingalls Graphic Design, we’re taking it to the next level. On Friday the 18th, before Talk Like A Pirate Day, we’re hosting a 5K Pirate Run!
Avast, it’s true, and we’d love you to join us! The suiting up for the run starts at 2:00PM.
Here are some tips for the Tingall’s 5K Pirate Run:
You don’t have to have one, but when a crew of pirates gets going, you’ll feel kind of left out. An eye patch, bandanna or parrot will work fine. A warning about the parrot – they’re not the best companions for a 5K. Peg legs we’ve found aren’t good for pace and time. Hooks, we’ll leave that to you, but you can never predict when you’ve got an itch that a hook shouldn’t scratch.
Here’s the most awesome part of the Tingalls Pirate 5K Run – it’s a walk-run! Go at your own pace. We’re not racing, we’re pirates. Pirates don’t race. So, if you need to walk, then do it! We’ll have groups at different speeds. No shame in exercising at your own comfort level.
Since it’s a precursor to Talk Like A Pirate Day, we’ll be slingin’ slang from aft to fore. Here are a few necessary terms for you to know when participating in the 5K Pirate Run!
- Avast: stand away/get back can used to require attention (stand to, wake up), used as an exclamation.
- Keelhaul: a punishment for exceptionally treacherous pirates. Tied to rope and lowered from the bow, dragged under the hull and keel. Typically caused death.
- Crows Nest: the highest point of the main mast.
- Privateer: A pirate sanctioned with a Letter of Marque from a government to seek and sink merchant vessels.
- Port: left
- Starboard: right
- Bow/Fore: front
- Aft: back
- The Jolly Roger: A pirate flag with skull and crossbones.
- Davey Jones’ Locker: To sink to the bottom of the sea.
- Arr: An exclamation of anger or pain.
Sea-Shanties (Sidewalk Shanties)
A sea shanty is a song sung by sailors while doing manual labor – the exertion is times with exhale of the breath. It’s really quite clever. Acceptable Sea Shanties include:
- https://youtu.be/RKETCYeepns – The Stormy Winds Do Blow
- https://youtu.be/d_2g_kNTBek – Spanish Ladies
- https://youtu.be/UMV34CwNMY0 – Barrett’s Privateers
That’s it, all you need to know to avoid walking the plank during the Tingalls Graphic Design Pirate 5K.
Join our Pirate 5K event on Facebook: